How could any kid resist these cute little Love Bugs? I made these yesterday while trying to come up with a great gluten-free treat for my kids. They are so easy. These could be used as a cute centerpiece, as a place card for a party, an adorable homemade valentine, or given as party favors. With supervision, these might also make a great Valentine party craft depending on the age of the group.
Here is what you will need:
- One piece of styrofoam
- Sucker sticks (found at the craft store usually with cake and candy making supplies)
- Candy melt bags (these are like decorator icing bags or you may use plastic storage bags)
- Marshmallows (as many as you want to make and any size, I used large and jumbo)
- Wilton Candy Melts (any flavor and color, found with cake or candy making supplies. May also use almond bark, etc.)
- Assorted sprinkles
- Cupcake liners for skirts (regular size for jumbo marshmallows and mini size for large marshmallows)
- Ribbon for bow ties
- Gluten-free pretzel sticks
- Insert sticks into each marshmallow you wish to decorate.
- Heat candy melt (chocolate) in double broiler or microwave according to directions.
- Cover 3/4 of pretzel sticks in candy melt of your choice. For large marshmallows, cut pretzels sticks in 1/2 and for jumbo marshmallows, use whole sticks. Add any sprinkles you wish before sticks dry. Allow sticks to dry completely on parchment paper.
- Cover marshmallows in candy melt, allow extra to drip off. If desired, use knife or edge of pan to smooth out candy melt.
- Roll 3/4 of the marshmallow sides and the top in sprinkles of your choice.
- Insert stick into styrofoam.
- Place one finger under bottom of marshmallow for support while inserting pretzel sticks into top. It may be helpful to insert small knife into marshmallow top to make small hole first.
- Decorate face using sprinkles.
- Continue processes until all marshmallows have been decorated. Only decorate one at a time.
- For mouth: fill decorator bag with candy melt and melt in microwave according to directions. Cut very small piece off end of bag. Draw mouth onto marshmallows. If using plastic storage bag, fill and melt on 50% power in intervals of 20 seconds each leaving top of bag open while heating. Kneed occasionally. Cut very small piece off corner of bag. Wrap towel around bag before decorating. Be very careful not to overheat bag. Bag will melt if overheated! I know this from experience.
- For girls: Insert cupcake liner upside down onto bottom of marshmallow. For boys: tie ribbon on bottom of marshmallows.
- Allow to dry completely and serve. These may be wrapped in clear bags and tied off with cute ribbon.