These may be prepared ahead, covered, and refrigerated for several hours or overnight.
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup drained ripe olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup green chilies, diced
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, and salt; mix well.
- Brown beef with onion and garlic in medium saucepan. Drain off excess fat. Add olives, chilies, and 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce mixture. Simmer uncovered 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fry tortillas quickly on both sides in hot skillet; drain tortillas on paper towels.
- Prepare enchilada stacks as follows: layer 6 tortillas alternately with meat mixture and 3 Tablespoons cheese between each tortilla and on top of stack; repeat procedure for second stack in second pie plate. Pour remaining sauce mixture over top.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake in 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cut each stack into wedges to serve. If prepared ahead and refrigerated, bake in 375 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes.