Very easy and rich chocolate cake. I serve this with vanilla ice cream to balance out the rich chocolate flavor.
- 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped (May use bittersweet chips)
- 2 sticks butter, cut into chunks
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 9-inch spring-form pan with nonstick cooking spray, then line bottom with a circle of parchment paper. Spray the paper with cooking spray, too, set the pan aside.
- Place chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Stirring often, melt chocolate with the butter until completely blended.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. (Alternatively, you may use your microwave to melt the butter with the chocolate, if desired).
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift cocoa into bowl and stir until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake has risen and top has formed a thin crust. Cake should be just firm in the center when done. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a plate, removing sides of spring-form pan. Remove parchment paper and allow cake to cool completely.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon milk, soy milk or almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon honey or light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- While cake is baking, prepare glaze.In small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt broken chocolate with butter, stiring frequently until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in milk, honey and vanilla.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- When cake is cooled, pour glaze over center of cake. Very gently smooth glaze over top and sides of cake. To set the glaze and make cake easier to slice, chill for 30 minutes to one hour before serving.