- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken stock
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained (may use less if you don’t want it too spicy)
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning (less for a milder flavor) or use Taco Seasoning recipe here. When using this recipe, I usually use only 1/2 to 1/4 of the recipe.
- 3-4 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and stir together. Place chicken breasts on top of mixture, press them into other ingredients until covered. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for approximately 5 hours. I find that the time is variable and this can be left cooking all day. If soup becomes too thick, more chicken broth could be added.
- Remove chicken breasts from soup, and cut or shred into pieces. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup. At this point you may continue cooking or soup may be served right away. Serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips. Soup may be served over rice for a mexican gumbo style soup.